You know those 6 quarts of pasta sauce I made last week? Well, I don't know if I filled the jars too full or the jars weren't freezable, but every one of them cracked in the freezer. Rather than try to save the sauce and take a chance of glass shards being in the sauce, we just tossed the whole lot. Luckily for me, our garden is still producing tomatoes at a too-rapid rate, so I'll get another chance to make sauce this week. This time I'll can it or use plastic freezer containers. Lesson learned.
We found out a few years ago that putting glass jars in the freezer doesn't work well. We've had split jars too. Hopefully this next batch will go better! I'd go with the canning method. It generally lasts longer.
ReplyDeleteI saw this on The Cool Heisses. Glass usually cracks because of a big change in temperature. If you let your sauce cool down first it might help.
ReplyDelete