We've been trying something new at dinnertime lately. Each of the kids gets a night of the week to help prepare dinner. They get to pick what we have for a main dish and a side dish or vegetable from a master list I made up of recipes we like. There were 5 main dish categories: soups, beef, chicken, pork, and fish or vegetarian. We filled out a menu chart starting the first child with soup, the second with beef and so on so we don't have all soup for the first week, etc. So far it's been a raging success. Here's what we've had so far in the two weeks we've done this:
Cheesy Ham Chowder and Jell-o Fruit Salad
Fish Sticks, salad and broccoli
Cheesy BLT Pizza and zucchini
Cheeseburger Pasta and lettuce salad
Chicken Parmigiana, salad and cucumber
Sweet and Sour Ham, rice and broccoli
Cheeseburger Soup, biscuits(my son made these for a school assignment) and cooked carrots
Make-Your-Own-Salad-Night and asparagus
Chili Casserole and salad
My husband I have our cooking nights on the weekends. Last night was my son's turn to cook, but since he was at a scout campout, we had leftovers instead. He will have his turn tonight. I haven't had any complaining from anyone about having to help make dinner on their night. The kids are surprisingly capable. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. A few of them have been doing their own laundry for years now. Part of them helping includes setting the table and helping to clean up after dinner. I'm really liking this new system.
That is a FABULOUS idea. I love that they're so willing to help out and cook and clean up. Isn't having older, more capable kids awesome?! I love it too, even if all they really do is set the table. I have a greater appreciation for the kids that do it without complaining too. I'm probably going to have Rachael start doing her own laundry soon. Like you guys do (because I love your ideas) she'll have her own day once a week. I look forward to doing it!
ReplyDeleteThis is awesome! Good to know for the future.
ReplyDeleteIt only works if you have five kids, though. Or unless the week is shortened.
ReplyDelete